It is clear that the moon and sleep seem inexorably linked since the dawn of time. Indeed, many sleepers experience some difficulty falling asleep during Full Moon periods.
The latter has always been the subject of fascination in man. There is no shortage of myths and theories about this astral phenomenon: transformation into a werewolf, hyperactivity in children, increased libido or even hair growth, but then what should we believe?
Several researchers have conducted studies to provide scientific answers to the influence of the phases of the Moon on the quality of sleep. Thus, we will see in this article the effects of the Moon on sleep and we will give you tips for better sleep.
I - The effects and consequences of the moon on sleep
Did you have trouble sleeping last night? Did you wake up long before the alarm clock rang? If this happens at the approach of the Full Moon or during it, it is not a coincidence!
- Shorter nights: Studies have shown a causal link between the moon and the ability to fall asleep. Indeed, according to a study published in the journal Science Advances , the time to fall asleep would be longer during the 3 to 5 days preceding the Full Moon and the duration of sleep would be shorter.
- An affected mood? In addition, the moon can have an impact on our mood. Indeed, the lunar rays can affect the region of the brain that regulates our nervous system (the hypothalamus). This is why some people may seem particularly moody a few days before the Full Moon.
The moon can therefore have an influence on sleep cycles!
II - Why does the moon prevent us from sleeping? What are the causes ?
- Brightness level: The moon's brightness level plays a crucial role in our deep sleep. The higher the moon is lit by the sun and the higher it is, the more frequent nocturnal awakenings will be.
- Disturbed melatonin levels: According to Encyclopedia of Sleep author Alex Dimitriu, our melatonin levels are affected to drop during the Full Moon. Melatonin is a natural hormone that we secrete at the end of the day to prepare our body to fall asleep. Thus, a deficit of melatonin at certain periods of the Moon, can explain our difficulty sleeping or waking up more frequently during the night. On the other hand, the rate doubles during the New Moon (Invisible Moon).
III - How to sleep better during the Full Moon?
If you experience particular difficulty sleeping during certain lunar cycles, you may be a “luno-sensitive” person. For this, we advise you to set up a wellness routine during the days preceding the Full Moon. For example, you can:
- Take a nice hot bath in the evening to promote muscle relaxation
- Prioritize reading a good book on screens before going to bed
- Take care to sleep in total darkness by removing any source of light that could disturb your sleep. You can also wear a sleep mask .
- Be careful not to drink beverages that may excite you such as tea, coffee or sugary drinks
- Avoid doing high-intensity sports in the evening and favor calm activities such as yoga so as not to raise your body temperature before going to bed.
- Opt for natural foods rich in melatonin: oats, barley, rice, oilseeds such as walnuts and hazelnuts, bananas, ginger, valerian tea, lavender or marjoram
- Finally, choose quality bedding, such as a pillow or a natural duvet.
In conclusion, the moon can have effects on the quality of our sleep and our mood. The main cause being the bluish light of the Moon which interferes with the production of melatonin. However, this varies greatly from person to person depending on their sensitivity and scientific studies do not always agree. In case you have difficulty sleeping during the Full Moon, you can adopt a wellness routine that will help you fall asleep!
Find the next Full Moon & New Moon dates on https://www.pleine-lune.org/
- ScienceAdvances: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abe0465
- Science and Future: https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/sante/la-lune-perturberait-bien-le-sommeil_23473
- Women's Journal: https://sante.journaldesfemmes.fr/fiches-sante-du-quotidien/2717809-effet-pleine-lune-humeur-anguish-crise-stress-pourquoi-que-faire/
Leave a comment