In France, 5 million mattresses are thrown away every year, which is equivalent to 90,000 tonnes of waste! So how do you avoid throwing your mattress away too soon? How to extend the life of your mattress ? What solution is available to you when you want to change your mattress ? Here are some Bdreams tips to help you.
First of all, when choosing your mattress for the next 10 years, be sure to pay attention to the quality of the materials used. Be aware that a mattress must have a density equal to or greater than 30 kg/m3 in order to have good resistance over time. Not all mattresses have the same lifespan. Indeed, some materials and compositions last longer than others so don't skimp on quality, your sleep and your wallet will thank you!
What are the warning signs that your mattress is deteriorating?
- Your bedding has retained your body imprint as you get out of bed, a hole forms in the mattress , this is one of the first signs of wear to watch out for.
- Your mattress tends to sag too much when you sit on it, again an indication of its state of health.
- You have back pain when you wake up, back or neck pain, kidney blockages, your mattress no longer gives you the comfort you want for a restful sleep. It is necessary to consider changing the mattress.
- You feel the slats of your bed base .
Whether you encounter one or more of these signs, replacing your mattress is the first option to consider, you can also complement it with a mattress topper that will extend the life of your mattress, as well as the comfort and quality of your sleep!
The advantage of a mattress topper to extend the life of your mattress:
Choosing a mattress topper is choosing a better quality of sleep ! This accessory offers many advantages both in terms of bedding protection and comfort:
- Protection of the bed : the mattress topper protects your mattress from wear, stains, dirt and dust and above all reduces the deterioration of materials due to perspiration. Very practical to install and remove, the mattress topper is easy to clean for good sleep hygiene.
- Better hygiene : since it is easy to maintain, the mattress topper limits the proliferation of bacteria and dust mites. Damage and perspiration stains also do not affect your mattress.
- Increased comfort : do you know why beds in luxury hotels are so comfortable? The mattress topper! It gives softness to mattresses that are too firm by providing softness. If you have an old mattress, but can't change it right away, this is a great way to enjoy improved comfort.
Do not forget that the mattress topper follows the mattress and cannot replace a good mattress base!
Discover the 3 Bdreams mattress toppers and choose the comfort that suits you !
Our other maintenance tips :
- Ventilate your room: in order to maintain your bedding as much as possible, we recommend that you ventilate your room daily.
- Turn it! A simple gesture to take care of your mattress is to turn it once or twice a year to prevent it from sagging. Attention, you can turn it in order to reverse the location of the head with the feet but do not turn it front side/back side at the risk of losing all its comfort.
- Clean the cover: the cover of Bdreams mattresses and mattress toppers is removable thanks to the zip, machine washing 1 to 2 times a year is recommended. A clean mattress allows for a longer life and better nights.
- Protect it ! The mattress protector, like the mattress topper , is the best way to effectively protect your bedding. A 2-in-1 mattress protector, fitted sheet and integrated mattress protector , helps absorb nocturnal perspiration and prevents possible stains and the appearance of dust mites.
If, however, you have tried everything and the time has come for your mattress, the best solution is to opt for recycling your old sleeping companion. Here are the alternatives to landfill, which generates more than 90,000 tonnes of waste per year in France:
- Eco-mobilier: created by the Ministry of Ecology, the non-profit organization Éco-mobilier provides more than 5,200 collection points with containers for bulky items throughout France. To find the nearest container to you, you can search here.
- Emmaüs: the association has developed a recovery channel for bulky household objects, including mattresses, with the aim of recycling them.
- Think about a second life: second-hand trading sites like Leboncoin.fr, for example, will allow you to make someone happy with an object recovery enthusiast and thus make the circular economy work. Donating to solidarity associations or animal shelters can also be a solution depending on the general condition of your mattress.
Bdreams mattresses have an estimated lifespan of 10 years, discover our 3 mattresses: Energik, Universal and Osmoz.
Leave a comment